The term “pharmaceutical tablet” refers to both molded and pressed unit dosage forms of medications that contain one or more active medicinal ingredients.
Typically, a tablet consists of a combination of active substances and excipients that has been compressed or pressed from a powder into a solid form.
Types of Tablets in Pharma:
Multiple types of tablets in pharma are available. These tablets are divided into 4 types as per their functionality or route of administration.
- Tablet Ingested Orally
- Tablet used in the oral cavity
- Tablet administered by other routes
- Tablets used to prepare a solution
1. Tablet Ingested Orally:
There are 6 subtypes of Tablets ingested orally.
- Compressed Tablet
- Multiple compressed tablets
- Delayed released tablet
- Sugar-coated tablet
- Film Coated tablet
- Chewable tablet
2. Tablet used in the oral cavity:
- Buccal Tablet
- Sublingual tablet
- Troches or Logenzes
- Dental cone
3. Tablet administered by other routes:
- Implantation tablet
- Vaginal Tablet
4. Tablet used to prepare a solution:
- Effervescent tablet
- Dispensing tablet
- Hypodermic tablet
- Tablet triturates
For interview preparation refer YT channel: Pharmabeej