Here is a procedure for the preparation and standardization of 1N HCl by using Tromethamine and Bromocresol as an indicator.
Preparation of 1N Hcl:
Dilute 85 ml of hydrochloric acid into 1000ml of purified water.
Preparation And Standardization Of 1N HCl (Manual Titration):
By using Tromethamine standard:
- Dry the Tromethamine at 105°c for 3 hrs.
- Weigh 5 g of dried and crushed Tromethamine.
- Dissolve the Tromethamine in 50 ml of water.
- Add 2 drops of Bromocresol green solution and titrate with 1N HCl solution.
- Titrate the solution till a pale yellow color endpoint is produced.
Preparation And Standardization Of 1N HCl (Potentiometric Titration):
- Follow the above points from 1 to 3.
- Titrate the 1N HCl solution to determine the endpoint potentiometrically using a combined pH glass electrode.
Normality calculation Formula of 1N HCl:
W x (Assay/100)
121.14 x V
W= Weight of Tromethamine in mg
V= Volume of HCl consumed in ml.
Assay= Content or potency of HCl
By using Anhydrous Sodium Carbonate standard:
- Dry the anhydrous sodium carbonate at 270°c for 1 hour.
- Weigh about 1.5 gm of anhydrous sodium carbonate.
- Dissolve in 100 ml of water.
- Add 0.1 ml of methyl red solution as an indicator.
- Titrate the solution with 1N Hcl till the faint pink color appear.
Normality Calculation of 1N Hcl:
Sodium carbonate weight in mg
Hcl in ml x 52.99
- Preparation and standardization of 1N NaOH
- What is Data integrity and Alcoa Plus?
- Impurities in Drug substances in pharma
- What is root cause analysis (RCA)?
- HPLC Interview Q&A
- KF Interview Q&A
- Dissolution calibration in pharma
Refer YT Channel: Pharmabeej